Phalaris arundinacea/canary grass

Ray R. Hinchman hinchman at anl.gov
Fri Aug 19 17:43:42 EST 1994

In article <330cm7$7oo at odin.sunquest.com>, wnash at sunquest.com wrote:

> Dear Net Friends:
> Can anyone direct me to studies on the biochemical toxicity of this Montana
> native on grazing animals?
>
> Much thanks in advance.

W Nash:

Actually, reed canarygrass (Phalaris arundinacea) is not only native to
Montana,  it is cosmopolitan.  It is indigenous in favorable locations in
the temperate areas of all 5 continents of the world.  In the book
"Forages" (citation below) there is a well referenced chapter (25, pp.
263-276) devoted to reed canarygrass, which discusses the toxic alkaloids
it contains, its palatability and digestability to grazing animals, its use
as forage, hay, silage, etc., and information on cultivars, culture and
management, and more. This book is sort of a classic - if you know anyone
who is an agronomist,they probably have a copy.  However, this information
is somewhat old (1973); perhaps some of the other bionet.plants folks can
provide some more recent references.

Heath, M.R., D.S. Metcalfe, and R.F. Barnes.  1973. Forages:  The Science
of Grassland Agriculture, 3rd edition, Iowa State University Press, Ames,
Ia.

Hope this helps.  Ray

| Ray R. Hinchman                               |
| Energy Systems Division - Bldg. 372           |
| Argonne National Laboratory                   |
| Argonne, IL   60439-4816  USA                 |
| Voice: (708) 252-3391  FAX: (708) 252-6407    |
| Internet/e-mail: hinchman at anl.gov             |