Houseplant help

hagef at ipf.nlh.no hagef at ipf.nlh.no
Mon Aug 22 08:42:03 EST 1994

In  <vah1-190894123532 at witchey.cit.cornell.edu>  vah1 at cornell.edu (valerie) writes:
| In article <332c02$90u at news.icaen.uiowa.edu>, japaulus at icaen.uiowa.edu
| (Joseph Andrew Paulus) wrote:
|
| > I've got a couple plants at my lab (grad school) that I would like some
| > advice on.
| >
| > I have a kalanchoe which has grown immensly since I obtained
| > it, but it hasn't put off any blooms.  It's in a south window, so it gets
| > sun all day, every day.  Any suggestions?
| >

| In my experience, kalachoes only bloom once and that's it, but my mother
| was able to get some to bloom for years.  In all the books I've read about
| this plant, it is suggested that you discard it after it blooms.
|

| valerie

Oh- yes, they'll certainly bloom again, but not in your window.
Kalanchoes are short-day-plants, and won't bloom if it receives more than
9 - 10 hours of light per day ( the rest in complete darkness).  2 - 4 weeks of the right condititon ( longer in the summer when it's hot), and flowers are initiated.  Theyll start to show some weeks later.
ME         :   Erling Floistad, Dr. student
My nest    :   Dept. of Horticulture and Crop Science,
               Agricultural University of Norway,  NLH
Snail Mail :   Po.Box 5022, N-1432 AAS,  NORWAY
e - Mail   :   erling.floistad at ipf.nlh.no
Phone      :   +47 64 94 78 26                       Fax : +47 64 94 78 02
My saying  :   "Impossible??  The impossible takes but a little more time!"