seedless watermelons

Tyler Laing aq799 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA
Mon Aug 22 14:44:26 EST 1994

In a previous article, echang at cbmse.nrl.navy.mil (Eddie Chang) says:

>We recently bought a "seedless" watermelon from a roadside stall. My
>daughter noticed that even though there were no seeds to speak of,
>there were plenty of "seed holes", just as if there were seeds that
>vanished.  Does anyone have an explanation?  BTW, it was great.
>
>eddie
>
>echang at cbmse.nrl.navy.mil (eddie chang)
>Standard disclaimers apply.

In a genetically true seedless watermelon, the plant is triploid-meaning
is is sterile (wont produce seed) seed formation does however begin but
however since the seed are inviable they quickly shrivil and disappear..
(Note don't send questions to me as a friend replied to your message on my
account)