chlorophyll paper chromatography

john markwell markwell at unlinfo.unl.edu
Thu Aug 25 11:11:53 EST 1994

MKOLOTILA at mecn.mass.edu writes:

>Hi netters,

>I have a question that I hope that one of you or more than one of you can
>answer.  I will be teaching an intro biology course this fall and would like to
>do a plant pigment extraction followed by paper chromatography.  All of the
>techniques that I have found use methanol and pet ether and I would rather not
>use pet ether if I can avoid it.  Is there any chromatography solvent solutions
>for chlorophyll etc; that do not use pet ether but work reasonably well.  I
>would appreciate hearing about them.  Either e-mail me or post here.  Thanks a
>bunch.

>Sincerely,
>Michael

Michael,
My colleagues (Chris Smith, Bob Curtright and Jim Rynearson) and I are
setting up a prototype of an electronic lab manual for high school
science teachers.  It just so happens that what we have worked on so
far includes experiments with plant pigments (chlorophylls,
carotenoids and anthocyanins).  If you have either gopher or ftp
access, you can download what we have and use it if it helps.

Point your gopher to cwis.unl.edu, select items "6. Research
Actvivities and Funding", "2. Databases", and "1. BRAIN".

Alternately, access via anonymous ftp to ftp.unl.edu and follow the
/pub/orgs/brain/education/experiments/biochemistry directory tree.

The two experiments which deal with chromatography of plant pigments
for high school students are biochem3.exp and biochem4.exp.

If you don't have access to gopher or ftp, it may be possible to send
them via email.

For more information on our prototype system or help with downloading,
try contacting Chris Smith (csmith at crcvms.unl.edu).

I hope this helps.

John Markwell

--