=post

Cynthia Donahey cdonahey at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Thu Dec 8 00:01:50 EST 1994

Loosestrife

This garden perennial has a horrible reputation as a wetland weed,
especially along Lake Erie. It is a very nice perennial in my garden; I
have both the species and a cultivar.  I have recently combined it with
queen-of-the-prairie and river mallow in my own garden. I'm hoping for
good results this summer.  They all seem to be the same height in my
garden. I do deadhead the species loosestrife to get recurrent and a
smaller bloom, so this may keep it in check.  It is nowhere as pestential
as queen anne's lace, which I tolerate because of its beauty - I still
have to weed it out constantly to keep it in check.

	When did loosestrife become a weed?  I understand cattails became
far more common at the same time, although they don't seem to have the
reputation of loosestrife, I guess because they provide more food and
nesting material.  I have read stories about horrible ecological problems
due to timbering, mining etc in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

	One interesting note. The most magnificent river scenery (in my
opinion) in Central Ohio is just a few miles north of downtown. Using the
launching dock near the old Pen in an old industrial area, you just go
past the comfluence of the Olentangy and Scioto (where I noticed one
miserable clump of loosestrife) and north up the Scioto.  I swear the
river mallow is 15 feet high.

	Anyway, I would appreciate some simple explanation.

--
By for now,

Cindy