pineapple plants

Tony Berke tberke at freenet.columbus.oh.us
Fri Dec 9 00:21:23 EST 1994

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think a pineapple plant started from the
top of a pineapple will be able to flower and produce a fruit. I remember
when I visited the Dole facility in Hawaii, I was told that it takes
something like 18 months for a pineapple plant to produce a ripe fruit,
(only one per plant, then the plant dies, as most bromeliads do). Again, I
don't know if this is totally acurate, but I believe it to be so. I wish
you good luck with what sounds like a beautiful plant.