Maize pollen - sorry I posted this previously without title

SHILLITOR 919-541-8588 shillitor at am.abru.cg.com
Thu Dec 8 13:19:29 EST 1994

In article <Czzs7L.5vv at sju.edu>, (Nov.94) ksnetsel at sju.edu
(Karen Snetselaar) wrote:

:Hello-
:Could some of you folks with maize experience point me in
the
:direction of information on how best to store maize pollen,
and
:how to efficiently pollinate maize plants in growth
chambers?
:I am having trouble finding this basic information.
:Email is best, and thank you very much.
:
:Karen Snetselaar
:Asst. Professor of Biology
:St. Joseph's University
:
:ksnetsel at sjuphil.sju.edu

and Marty Sachs  USDA/ARS & Agronomy/UIUC
msachs at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu [internet] replied.

I agree with what Marty says.  The most critical point with
maize is to maintain light levels of greater than
300microEinstein at all times.  This is difficult to do in a
phytotron unless you use metal halide lamps.  However, we
have had some success with maize in Phytotrons.  I believe
that there were some large phytotrons going begging when
EniGen broke up.
Pollen is very difficult, and basically cannot be stored for
any length of time.  Cutting the tassels has also worked for
us.

Ray Shillito  shillitor at am.abru.cg.com