Question: Tree transpiration rate

Bill Purves purves at muddcs.cs.hmc.edu
Sat Dec 10 18:13:42 EST 1994

In article <1994Dec9.205840.19826 at sol.UVic.CA>,
Geoff  Vanderkooy <gvanderk at visions.UVic.CA> wrote:
>Greetings everyone!
>
>  My wife is trying to discover how much water a tree transpires during a day.
>Does anyone know, or can suggest a reference she could look at?
>For example, how much water does an average, 100 year-old Douglas fir
>transpire?

You will probably get better and more complete answers, but perhaps
this will serve as a starter to get you through the weekend ;-)

A maple tree 15 meters tall was estimated to have 177,000 leaves, with
a total leaf surface area of 675 square meters.  On a summer day,
that tree lost 220 liters of water per hour to the atmosphere by
transpiration.

(bill)

William K. Purves
Department of Biology