Metal halide lamps

Torgeir Svolsbru Torgeir.Svolsbru at bio.uio.no
Mon Dec 12 05:15:22 EST 1994

In article <3c9qqv$boh at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>
ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk (Tony Travis) writes:

> You also need to place trays of water between the metal halide lamps
> and the plants otherwise the heat from the lamps will kill the them.

Is that so?

We grow barley at this light level with metal halide lamps and use only
a polycarbonate ceiling and separate air cooling for the lamps in our
phytotron in Oslo. This ceiling, unlike water filters, do not remove
the infrared radiation from the lamps which is relatively similar to IR
from the sun.  The chamber temperature is 15C day and 10C night.  The
reason why our plants do not burn is the wind through the chamber
approx. 0,5m/s upwards.

I am interested in other experiences with this lamps on different
plants because we install a lot of them these days at our phytotron.

Torgeir.Svolsbru at bio.uio.no