new australian conifer living fossil?

mel turner mturner at acpub.duke.edu
Thu Dec 15 21:56:10 EST 1994

In article <mturner.107.0006CAAF at acpub.duke.edu> mturner at acpub.duke.edu (mel turner) writes:
>In article <jsp.1.787488965 at nlh.no> jsp at nlh.no (Jan Wesenberg) writes:
>>Can anybody tell what kind of plant this is? It was referred to as a pine
>>species, but this could mean any conifer, I think.
>>Hoping for a live Lebachia or Cordaites,

>There is an Reuters article on this now (15 Dec) in clari.tw.science.
>Unfortunately, they don't give  us any real taxonomic info other than that it
is a >"pine" (= conifer).

The latest I hear is that it apparently represents a third genus of living
Araucariaceae, that rather resembles some Mesozoic fossils.  There are only a
handful of specimens (>> 100), all living in a single gorge in Australia.

Not a living Lebachia, but wonderful news anyway.
mdt