FDA approved crops

Ray Dobert rdobert at NALUSDA.GOV
Fri Dec 16 16:48:47 EST 1994

Mike et.al.

The stories about FDA approval of seven engineered plants have been a bit
confusing as to the nature of the approval.  To the best of my knowledge
the situation is as follows (for more detail see "Biotech food policy
still staggering along", Bio/Technology:12:1332 -Dec 94):

At a recent meeting (Nov. 2) of the FDA's Food Advisory Committee (FAC - a
scientific advisory board) the FDA summarized information regarding their
recently completed reviews of the 7 engineered crops.  The FAC did not
take any action on approving these crops at the meeting, and completion of
FDA reviews is not the same as a formal approval by the agency.  For more
information you might want to contact the folks at FDA directly.

The seven crops (and their "transgenes") that have been reviewed by FDA are:

Asgrow's virus resistant squash (ZW-20) - viral coat protein
Calgene's bromoxynil resistant cotton (BTX) - nitrilase from Klebsiella
DNA Plant Technology's delayed ripening tomato - ACC Synthase antisense
Monsanto's delayed ripening tomato - microbial ACC degrading enzyme (?)
Monsanto's insect resistant potato - BT toxin
Monsanto's glyphosate resistant soybean - 5-enolpyruvylshikimate-3-
	phosphate synthase (EPSPS) from Agrobacterium
Zeneca Plant Sciences' delayed softening processing tomato - polygalact-
	uronase antisense

Again, if you would like additional information contact either FDA or the
companies involved with these products.  Hope that this information is
helpful.

Ray Dobert
Biotech. Info Center/NAL/USDA
Beltsville, MD  20705