HAMBURG PARSLEY

Mike Grant M.L.Grant at bham.ac.uk
Mon Dec 19 06:55:08 EST 1994

In article <vandeMerwe.151.2EDD8AC3 at BEL.FRG.EUR.NL>,
vandeMerwe at BEL.FRG.EUR.NL (Justus ) wrote:

> Does anyone know what HAMBURG PARSLEY is? A friend of mine has to translate a
> spoken english text to dutch and something like that seems to be in it. We
> cannot find it in any dictionary. Maybe it is spelled wrong?

  Hamburg parsley, Petroselinum crispum 'Tuberosum', is a tuberous variety of
common parsley.The leaves can be used like normal parsley although they
are not as curled, and the root develops like a parsnip, tasting like a
cross between that and celery.I do not know the origin of the name.
                      All the best, Mike Grant.