Flowering Diefenbochia Houseplant???

Ken Shackleton kshack1 at agt.alta.net
Thu Dec 22 15:33:56 EST 1994

Can anyone help me? In our house has an old (10+ yrs) Diefenbochia (sp?)
that is flowering? It started the other day, and has never done it
before. I have never heard of this, and was under the impression that
these plants were assexual, being only reproduced by cuttings.
The flower is protruding from a brand new leaf at the top of the plant,
(the plant is 8 ft tall), it has the appearance of one of those small
cobs of corn that are common in Chinese food, yellow, and about 6 inches
long, and 1/2 inch wide.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.