Plant Growth Question

larson eric elarson at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Sat Dec 31 18:40:38 EST 1994

tjioet at ix.netcom.com (Taufan Tjioe) writes:

>  Can someone please answer the following question, it's one of a fifty
>question paper I had to do over Christmas vacation.  It is one of two
>that I didn't get (as simple as it may seem).

>  What is meant by the indeterminate growth pattern in plants?
=============

Indeterminant plants continue to grow vegetative tissue while undergoing
fertilization and growth of reproductive parts.  There is no restriction of
being indeterminant or not to a single species.  For example, Soybeans have
determinant and indeterminant varieties.  The determinant varieties do all
of their vegtative (leaves and stems) prior to flowering and growth of
reproductive structures.  Indeterminant varieties flower while vegetative
growth, even pod filling, continues.

--
Eric Larson                  | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
USDA/Agronomy                | 190 PABL; 1201 W. Gregory; Urbana, IL 61801