Wanted info on shade paint for plants

C.B. Christie CChristi at massey.ac.nz
Thu Feb 3 22:05:08 EST 1994

Instead of erecting a big shadehouse, I am looking at the possibility of
shading some understorey-type plants that like to grow in deep shade by
applying a "paint" to allow growth in bright sunlight without
photoinhibition and consequent loss of growth.

The covering material would need to be slightly light permeable,
flexible, probably not too dark in colour otherwise excseeive heating of
the leaves may be a problem, nonphytotxic, easily applied (eg sprayed on
new leaves as they appear) and probably some other things I havent
thought about.

I would be interested if commercial products exist that may do this or
readers have any comments on the feasibility of the idea, alternative
strategies or any other useful comments on the subject for that matter.

Thanks very much

Bruce Christie
Department of Plant Science, Massey University
Palmerston North, New Zealand

email: C.B.Christie at massey.ac.nz