Plant Taxonomy Textbooks?

Bill Williams bwilliam at
Sun Feb 6 15:49:32 EST 1994

I'm looking for some plant tax. texts to review.  I'll be teaching a
course next fall that is part taxonomy and part plant ecology.  I'm
particularly looking for a book with practical emphasis:  how does one
examine a grass inflorescence, what's a good way to approach pressed
specimens, and so on.  It'd be nice if it also contained the basics of
modern taxonomic theory and practice, but the emphasis should be on

For that matter, how about plant ecology texts?  I've been using
Barbour, Burke, and Pitts, but I'm certainly open to suggestions.

William E. Williams
Department of Biology
St. Mary's College of Maryland