c12/C13

P Aphalo pedro at castle.ed.ac.uk
Fri Feb 11 01:58:07 EST 1994

Paul Conklin (psconk at acpub.duke.edu) wrote:

: >>Hi everyone, I may have accidently deleted the answer to this
: >>question, but I am still wondering why a C12/C13 usage ratio for
: >>RUBISCO would tell one about stomatal opening. Ellen

: Pedro Aphalo wrote in part:

: >I do not remember seeing the original posting. I'll try to answer:

: >13C and 12C are both stable isotopes of C. The abundance of 13C is
: >about 1% of the total terrestrial C. 13CO2 is heavier than 12CO2
: >and this makes their diffusivities slightly different. Furthermore,
: >some enzimes like Rubisco show some "preference" for one of the
: >isotopes.

: >Delta 13C tells about stomatal opening in C3 plants, because the
: >discrimination between 12C and 13C is different for Rubisco and
: >gaseous diffusion, and because 13C/12C is fairly constant in the
: >atmosphere. Consequently by measuring 13C/12C in bulk dry plant
: >tissue one can estimate Ci and water use efficiency throughout the
: >past life of a plant. Or in other words, how much the flux of CO2
: >was limited by diffusion.

: Having found this confusing myself, let me add a further note of
: clarification.  If the stomates are wide open, diffusion is not
: very limiting and the air in the leaf closely resembles the air
: outside.  Rubisco then "chooses" between 12C and 13C and the
: resulting tissue reflects Rubisco's "preference" only.  If the
: stomates are closed, diffusion is quite limiting.  The air in the
: leaf reflects the "preference ratio" of diffusion and looks
: different from outside air.  Rubisco then "chooses" its CO2 from
: this modified air.  The result is the combination of diffusion
: AND Rubisco discrimination, which is different from what Rubisco
: produces by itself.  In the ultimate limit of a plant using up
: evey molecule of CO2 the stomates let in the resulting tissue
: would show the diffusion ratio only.

: Apologies if I've explained the obvious, but I don't deal with
: this every day and find it useful to replay this thought
: experiment each time I encounter this topic.

You have made it obvious with your explanation. Which is
quite a different thing! ;-)

: Paul Conklin
: psconk at acpub.duke.edu

Pedro.