Forcing buds on oak cuttings

Jeffrey P Schnurr schnurr at badlands.NoDak.edu
Tue Feb 22 21:53:33 EST 1994

As a sideline the my independent research, I am trying to micropropagate
an exceptional 25 year old English Oak x ? hybrid.  My problem is getting
enough tissue to do good trials.  I've collected scion-wood in Oct. and
chilled it for 3 months and gotten about 50% budbreak but no elongation.
Also, this tissue would dessicate after 2 or 3 days.  Now, I've collected
branches off the tree (Feb. 15) and have them in a forcing sol'n. with
BA, GA, sucrose, and an anti-microbial agent, but the buds aren't
swelling.  If anyone has any ideas about a good source of tissue to work
with I'd really appreciate it.  Also. this tree has proven very difficult
to graft so there is really no "rejuvenated" tissue to work with.  With
shoot-tips during last summer, I had no success with previously published
protocols for micropropation of oak.  I'm kind of stumped and since I can't
really spend too much time with this work; I hope to hear some ideas I
havn't thought of.  Could you reply via e-mail since I'm learning Usenet
and lose posting sometimes.

Jeff Schnurr

Graduate Student
North Dakota State University