me and stomata

unknown at dl.ac.uk unknown at dl.ac.uk
Thu Jan 13 09:39:14 EST 1994

Dear Ellen and other stomataphiles around the world,

thank you very much for your letter and your appreciation of my Plant Cell
paper.

As I see everybody introducing him/herself on the stomata-network I just
mention my brief academic history. I just started some years ago in the lab
of plant molecular genetics of Prof. M. Van Montagu to do my Ph.D and I will
defend this on Jan 25th....so, all of you cross your fingers for me!!

I got in love with stomata on a special way. My Ph.D topic was in fact the
study of GTP-binding proteins in plants and it just happens that the gene I
cloned is expressed mainly in developing guard cells. For those of you
interested check the december issue of Plant Cell.
Unfortunately we have no funding to continue the project and my future is now
on the Arabidopsis Genome Project for which I will be the responsible in our
lab. Nevertheless I still have some things to finish. Among this is the
immunolocalisation on EM level of Rha1, the GTP-binding protein I am
studying, specially in the stomata. Also we have constructed some transgenics
expressing mutant forms of Rha1, and we hope these could also give us some
insight in the function of Rha1, which could be on guard cell development.

In answer to the question of Ellen I have to say that I never used CTX or PTX
in connection with Rha1. The problem is also that we do not know what Rha1 is
doing in the cell so we cannot check what the effect of CTX or PTX is on Rha1
in vivo. We could off course check if purified Rha1 gets modified by these
toxins and if GTP-binding or hydrolysing is altered in that way. Do you other
people think this could give biological relevant information?
I'm really enjoying the stomata-network and hope we can really help eachother
by discussing our problems.

Nancy Terryn
Lab of Genetics
KL Ledegankstaat 35