1.Sudan II-glucuronide 2.ADP-ribosylation of Rha 1

unknown at dl.ac.uk unknown at dl.ac.uk
Thu Jan 13 18:44:35 EST 1994

Brain Taylor of Texas A&M responded from the plant bio net to say that Nancy
Terryn's paper was great and he had some questions about the new GUS reactant,
Sudan II-glucuride. Does local diffusion compare with that of X-gluc? I think
the paper said that because sudan II-g product is a crystal there is no
diffusion. Is there more info. on expression of RHA 1 in stipules?  He also
extends his sympathy about the lack of funding for this project and the
lack of funding in general. Although this won't help Nancy in Belgium, the
USDA has strong interests in stomatal research here and, I encourage
postdocs to try for the new postdoctoral fellowships which started last year.
They have revoloving deadlines depending on subject matter. Can we interest
some celebrities in our research?

Nancy asked about whether looking at ADP-ribosylation of purified rha 1 protein by CTX and PTX would be interesting. As she points out, an in vivo assay isn'tavailable. I don't know of any data on ribosylation of small GTP-binding
proteins, but if the animal rha 1 is ribosylated, it would be interesting to
compare what happens with the plant rha 1. Dogma about the heterotrimeric
G-proteins is that they have to be in an active state to be ribosylated by
cholera toxin and an inactive state to be ribosylated by pertussis toxin, so
again it would be helpful to have an activity assay for rha 1, especially if
this dogma does not apply to the GTP-binding proteins of guard cells. However,
even if cholera and pertussis toxins were to act on the same state, you would
have a fifty-fifty chance of seeing APD-ribosylation on a gel.

Hope everyone is having fun, Ellen