Arabidopsis Post Doc position

Clint Chapple chapple at aclcb.purdue.edu
Fri Jan 21 11:43:00 EST 1994

Dear colleagues:

I'd greatly appreciate your help in bringing this ad to the attention of
qualified individuals.  I'd be more than happy to answer questions anyone
may have if they'd like to contact me by phone, fax or e-mail.

A post-doctoral postion is currently available for an individual with a
background in plant molecular biology to study molecular aspects of cell
wall biosynthesis in Arabidopsis.

We have recently identified a mutant of Arabidopsis that is defective in the
gene encoding ferulate-5-hydroxylase (F5H) (Chapple et al., 1992.  Plant
Cell 4:1413-1424), one of the genes of the general phenylpropanoid pathway
that has not yet been cloned.  As a result of this mutation, the monomer
composition of the lignin in the mutant's secondary cell wall is
dramatically altered, and resembles the lignin normally seen in gymnosperms.

We have identified a T-DNA tagged mutant in which the T-DNA insertion
appears to be directly within the coding sequence of the F5H gene.  Our
immediate goals are to use the T-DNA tagged line to retrieve cDNA and
genomic clones encoding F5H, confirm their identity by complementation of
the original EMS-induced mutants, and to study the effect of ectopic- and
over-expression of F5H on secondary cell wall biochemistry.

Experience in molecular biology is essential, and experience with
biochemical techniques such as gas chromatography is desirable.  Interested
individuals should submit a CV and the names and addresses of 3 references,
and are encouraged to do so by electronic mail if possible.  Purdue
University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.

Clint Chapple
Department of Biochemistry
Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN