Poppy cultivar needed

Kurt Brown krtbrown at csn.org
Tue Jan 25 08:42:54 EST 1994

Michael H. Bridges (mbridges at tytownms.win.net) wrote:
:
: >I am looking for a source for papaver somniferun.  I believe the
: >cultivar is called 'Cedrick Morris' and the color is a deep
: >purple.  I anyone has any ideas on sources for this I would like
: >to hear from you.  If this is really not the appropriate forum
: >for this question I would like to hear that too.
: >
: >cheers,
: >
: >bryan

: Papaver somniferum is the Opium Poppy. I doubt you'll find an
: advertised source, since cultivation in the USA is blatantly
: illegal. This is not to say that the plants aren't grown, however. I
: know of one botanical garden growing it openly.

: Michael Bridges
: Southern Perennials & Herbs
: Tylertown, MS 39667

: mbridges at tytownms.win.net

I know of a few sources of papaver somniferum.  Both are see companies.

One company is called Seeds of Change.  They are located in New mexico.
I can't find their seed catalog at the moment.  If you are interested
send me e-mail and I will get the address and phone number back to you.
Seeds of Change has two varieties.  One is for bread seed production and
the other is ornamental.  They also have a great catalog with heavy emphasis
on preserving various plant species.

The other company is Park Seed.  They have a variety called Papaver
somniferum paeoniflorum (aka Peony-flowered Poppy).  They claim the seeds
of this plant are edible.  I can't find an 800 number but here is their
toll phone number: (803) 941-4480.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Kurt Brown      krtbrown at csn.org