Mediteranean Fart Sugars

ylevy at binah.cc.brandeis.edu ylevy at binah.cc.brandeis.edu
Tue Jul 5 16:11:08 EST 1994

Dear keepers of The Net wisdom and knowledge:

We are trying to get more information on a human
condition (genetic?) that involves metabolism of
certain sugars (apparently).  If the following foods
are eaten, extreme GI discomfort results:

mellon (canteloupe, honey dew)
brown sugar
molasses
maple syrup

Other fruits, and white sugar, causes no problems.

What do these food have in common?  We are
hypothesizing that an enzyme or enzymes in the
metabolic pathways involving sugars may be
defective.  This condition is apparently common to
males of Medditeranean origin.

Any information would be appreciated,

Jessica Marie Pisano     pisano at binah.cc.brandeis.edu
Yaron Y. Levy