Poison hemlock vs. Queen Anne's lace

Ken A Ursic kursic at uoguelph.ca
Wed Jul 6 13:59:32 EST 1994

VSHRADER at DELPHI.COM (vshrader at news.delphi.com) wrote:
: Please help me to identify some plants in my yeard which I think are
: poisonous...

: I live in Northern California.  The plants start out looking like carrot
: tops, with purple spots on the stem, and even a carrot-like root.  They
: grow into tall plants with a more woody stem (still with purple spots)
: with tufts of tiny white flowers.  The flowers are in small bunches, as
: opposed to a large bunch at the end of the twig.

: I heard a "radio naturalist" describe the carrot-like plants with purple
: spotted stems as poison hemlock.  I also know that Queen Anne's lace is
: known as "wild carrot".  I would like to know which plant is in my yard.
: And by the way, is QA lace toxic?

: Thanks in advance.  I apologize profusely if this is a FAQ.

: vandy
Poison Hemlock has hollow stems, and purple spots. A lot of kids get
poisoned using the stems as pea shooters.You probably want to get rid of
it if there are kids around. Whatever you do be cautious.
KEN
                             (#########)  Pretty cool!
                            (#########)       /
                           (#########)       /
                          (#########)       /
            __&__        (#########))
           /     \      (#########) |\/\/\/|  /\ /\  /\             /
          |       |    (#########)  |      |  | V  \/  \---.  .----/  \----.
          |  (o)(o)     (o)(o)(##)  |      |   \_        /     \          /
          /_____/ \     OOOOOO      /____\       ooooo           /|    |
Ken Ursic <KURSIC at UOGUELPH.CA>
Cliff Ecology Research Group
Dept. of Botany, University of Guelph