meristemoid, AGPase promoter

altmann at MPIMG-Berlin-Dahlem.MPG.DE altmann at MPIMG-Berlin-Dahlem.MPG.DE
Sun Jul 10 12:08:36 EST 1994

Ellen,
I think I have to applologize for a stupid mistake I did! Of course
"perigene cells derived from the meristemoid" is a contradicition in itself
as perigene cells are defined as cells neighboring the guard cells that are
not derived from the same meristemoid as the guard cells but are produtcs
of cell divisions of neighboring cells that occurred in relation to the
development of the stoma (according to Hanne Rasmussen, 1981). So more
correctly I should have said the CDeT6-19 promoter might be induced by ABA
in guard cells and mesogene cells (those neighbouring cells that are
ontogenically related to the guard cells) which would indicate a different
behaviour of these cells as compared to the other epidermis cells (subsidiary
cells?).
The promoter we used for the mutant screening was the complete 1.2 kb AGPase S
promoter (called B-GUS-1 in M\ller-Rvber et al., Plant Cell 6, 601-612) which
also in Arabidopsis was expressed in a variety of cell types/tissues but in
leaves showed expression in addition to guard cells only in cells along the
midvein at the leaf base.

Thomas