Water Culture

Gus Trautweiler AAT at UCSVAX.UCS.UMASS.EDU
Mon Jul 11 11:20:04 EST 1994

In <1994Jul10.143048.21094 at emba.uvm.edu> djohnson at moose.uvm.edu writes:

:Q Hi!
:Q
-SNIP-
:Q
:Q Now, I am wondering, how should a cutting be maintained? Exposed to the
:Q light or no?

Indirect light would be fine.

:Q Should it go into a nutrient solution right off?

Cuttings, 1/8 Hoaglands solution or less.

:Q What sort
:Q of a nutrient solution should I put it into?

Hoaglands solution.

:Q
:Q The books I have are pretty out of date, they give me conflicting answers
:Q about starting and maintaining a cutting and what I should use for a
:Q nutrient solution..

These books are probably fine.   Hoaglands solution has been a classic since
the 50s.
:Q
:Q Another question I have, for once I have something really growing in a
:Q nutrient solution, is should I move the solution with say a fishtank pump?
:Q It would seem better, IMHO, to just use a simple airtank pump to move the
:Q solution throughout the roots as to provide better nutrition.

The pump is to add O2 to the solution, not to move the solution.

:Q
:Q Thanks in advance for your help!
:Q

Gus Trautweiler  |  |  | #  # |  |  #   #  |  | #   # |  |  #     #  |  |
Plant & Soil Science Dept: Biotechnology|  |  | | # | |  |  |  #  |  |  |
University of Massachusetts # |  |  #   #  |  | #   # |  |  #     #  |  |
AAT at BIO.UMASS.EDU   *##*      *##*         *##*       *##*           *##*