carnivorous plant/live sphagnum sources??

EPW100G at ODUVM.BITNET EPW100G at ODUVM.BITNET
Mon Jul 11 07:03:18 EST 1994

I think that sphagnum may be a poor choice for growing pitcher plants in
Sphagum generates acid to lower the local soil pH below what the
pitcher plants prefer. I have visited the area where venus flytraps
and pitcher plants grow naturally in North Carolina, and I do not
remember sphagnum being present in the area surrounding the pitcher
plants. If you need a moss, I suggest you simply look in a nearby stream
or creek to see what is available.

                                   Everett Weber
                                   Dept. of Biology
                                   Old Dominion University