HAYFEVER: Rapeseed pollen

Dr S T May lsrei at csv.warwick.ac.uk
Wed Jul 13 11:50:03 EST 1994

I did a quick search on BIDS and this was the first
reference I could find (searching backwards chronologically).
This MAY then be the most recent publication on the subject:

FELL-P-J; SOULSBY-S; BLIGHT-M-M; BROSTOFF-J
Allergy Clin., Deddington Health Centre, Deddington, Oxon, U.K
CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL ALLERGY 22(4): 501-505
PY: 1992

Abstract:

Oilseed rape (Brassica napus) is a commonly grown crop in Europe and it
has been suggested that its pollen may be a potent new allergen. The
prevalence of sensitization in a normal exposed population and an objective
study of those patients found to be allergic to the rape pollen is described.
The results show a low prevalence of allergy to oilseed rape pollen (less than
0.2%) unless the subjects were occupationally exposed. Those affected, with
one exception, were already atopic and allergic to other pollens. The role of
volatile materials given off by the plant remains to be elucidated.

Hope this helps,
Sean