Control of Posion Ivy

Gus Trautweiler AAT at UCSVAX.UCS.UMASS.EDU
Sat Jul 16 21:23:22 EST 1994

In <mhg3-1507942201100001 at cu-dialup-0205.cit.cornell.edu> mhg3 at cornell.edu writes:

:Q Guess I would just interject that if you or neighbors inhale the burnt
:Q poison ivy smoke they will be in for the worst case of poison ivy where
:Q cala$ will not help.  I have also met people who try and burn sumac with
:Q similar reaction.  Burning can volitilize the oils (much like smoking) and
:Q can cause severe reperatory inflamation.
[snip]

My grandmother picked it out of her yard for years and never had a reaction.
One year there was so much she decided to burn it.  She got "it" on every
inch of her body AND from that day on if she touched it, she had a severe
reaction.  May not want to burn it.

Gus Trautweiler ########*     *##*             *##*     *##*             *##*
Plant & Soil Science Dept. *   :  : *       * :  :   *   :  : *       * :  :
University of Massachusetts  * :  :   *   *   :  : *   * :  :   *   *   :  : *
Amherst, MA 01002   :  *       *  :  :  *  :  :  *       *  :  :  *  :  :  *
AAT at BIO.UMASS.EDU ###*            *##*     *##*             *##*     *##*