measuring stomatal characteristics

Frank Berninger BERNINGE at SILVIA.HELSINKI.FI
Tue Jul 19 09:42:37 EST 1994

Hi everyone,

At the moment, we try to investigate the influence of stomatal
anatomy on the diffusion of gases through the stomata. My colleages
from the Department of Physics try to use a numerical model to
describe these diffusion processes in the steady state.

To validate and test the model it would be necessary to measure
stomatal frequencies and dimensions (witdth opening, depth and width
of the stomatal cavity and some similar things....).

There are more or less two questions on these issues: Are there any
kind of standard methodologies to measure these characteristics? (And
where are they published? Has anybody any idea how good these
methodologies are?) and how to avoid the sampling problems
when scaling up from the stomata to the birch leaf or pine needle?

Greetings

            Frank BerningerFRANK BERNINGER
DEPARTMENT OF FOREST ECOLOGY
PL 24