Growing plants "artificially"

Graeme Lyall uad1123 at tdc.dircon.co.uk
Sat Jul 23 15:39:37 EST 1994

I'm interested in systems which simulate the most favourable
growing conditions and so produce high rates of plant growth.
I believe there is (or was) a system called Phototron, which
delivers artificial light and controls other environmental factors
in a self contained unit a few feet high.  The idea is that
you can grow and harvest herbs, tomatoes, whatever, at any season,
and in a much shorter time span than normal.

Does anyone have experience of such systems, or a view about
it?