Very nasty mystery plant

Conrad Richter 71550.3411 at compuserve.com
Mon Jul 25 09:56:47 EST 1994

This is from an article published local newspaper (Toronto Star, July 23,
1994).  The original article was published in the Observer.  Does anybody
know the plant referred to?

  "There is a grotesque South African shrub that produces an exotic
  acid that kills all air-breathing organisms except the plant that
  makes it.  It was studied and developed into a (somewhat dangerous
  and rarely used) pesticide.  In 1963, a factory accidently spilled
  some in southern England, killing cattle and causing panic.
     "A young scientist in London wondered if there might be a microbe
  that could mop up the stuff.  He paused by the Thames, picked up
  some mud and started testing within for a microbe that flourished
  in the chemical.  Within a week, he had found one.  By that time,
  the authorities had dug all the topsoil up and buried it, but the
  microbe exists in Britain's National Collection of Industrial
  Microbes."

Clearly, this plant is pretty nasty.  I would appreciate email
replies because, coincidently, I off for a 4 week plant collection
trip to Africa this week and I might miss the posting.

Conrad Richter
Richters
Goodwood, ON
L0C 1A0  CANADA