Help! Spider Mites...entymoligist needed!

Alan McHughen mchughen at herald.usask.ca
Mon Jun 13 17:29:21 EST 1994

Frederick Thum (st93mey7 at Dunx1.OCS.Drexel.Edu) wrote:

: We had quite a problem with spider mites when we were growing transgenic
: alfalfa.  They seemed to appear when the plants were badly maintained, and

Did you have regulatory approval for this? What did the EPA think of your
feeding transgenic material to innocent spider mites? Did the FDA approve
of your allowing this transgenic stuff enter the food chain? How can I be
sure *your* spider mites don't mate with *my* spider mites and transfer
DNA to *my* pristine houseplants? Have you checked the mites for tumors
recently? You also admit to mistreating your alfalfa ("...plants were
badly maintained").  Honestly, some people have *NO* respect for the
sanctity of life! I have a good mind to report you to the SPCA for
abusing those innocent creatures- They probably don't even know they're
eating genetically engineered alfalfa- I'l bet the plants aren't even
labelled such that  the mites can make an informed choice! It's the
cavalier attitude of Ivory Tower scientists like you that causes people
to be suspicious. I'll tell you one thing- you're sure not going to get
into *my* genes!