"Drying" flowers...

saouc at uccmvsa.bitnet saouc at uccmvsa.bitnet
Mon Jun 13 19:31:43 EST 1994

> From: xenon at CSOS.ORST.EDU (Fingers are for WEINERS!)
> Newsgroups: bionet.plants
> Subject: "Drying" flowers...
> Date: 31 May 1994 14:33:55 GMT
>    My GF recently bought 5 fuschia baskets from the nursery where she
works,
> and we've been wondering: How do you "dry" fuschia blooms?  I use dry in
quotes
> because I know that they don't dry too well, in fact, they're horrible for
drying.  Does anybody know how?  I was thinking maybe dipping it in a
watered-down
> laquer or glue...
> Help!

It would have to be done using silica powder - as I understand it (I have
not done this myself) you bury the flowers carfully in a box of silica
powder, which gradually extracts all the moisture from the flower while
holding it intact.  The flower colors remain pretty true, or even
intensify (rather then fade as in regular drying).  Many delicate flowers
may be dries in this fashion - look for a book on dried flower arranging or
some such.  I think I saw this in my wife's copy of 'The Scented Room'.

       Sean A. O'Hara, 710 Jean St., Oakland, Ca. 94610-1459
            saouc at uccmvsa.bitnet or sean.ohara at ucop.edu