SUMMARY: Ref's on mathematics of phyllotaxis

Thomas R Stanley tstanley at lamar.ColoState.EDU
Mon Jun 20 10:29:34 EST 1994

Attached is a summary of responses I received with respect to my request for
references treating phyllotaxis from a mathematical perspective.  Thanks to
everybody who responded.

Tom Stanley
National Biological Survey
Midcontinent Ecological Science Center
Fort Collins, CO  80525

tstanley at lamar.colostate.edu

Date: Wed, 01 Jun 1994 12:32:05 -0400
From: emilyg at pltpath.umass.edu
Subject: Phyllotactic patterns!

Dear Thomas;
  I reecently had a course in Plant Dev. Bio. and we discussed theories
of phyllotactic patterning of shoot meristems. We were more interested in the
biology but here are a few older ref. leaning to a mathematical treatment of
the subject, perhaps you can find new work by their authors:

      1.  Mitchison, G. J. 1977. Phyllotaxis and the Fibonacci series.
      Science 196:270-275.

	2.  Thornley, J.M.H. 1975. Phyllotaxis:I. A mechanistic model. Ann. Bot.
	39:491-507.

	3.  Thornley, J.M.H. 1975. Phyllotaxis:II. A discription in terms of
	intersecting logarithmic spirals. Ann. Bot. 39:509-524.

	4.Roberts, D.W. 1978. The origin of Fibonacci phyllotaxis- an analysis
	of Adler's contact pressure model and Mitchison's expanding apex model.
	J. Theor. Biol. 74:217-233.

I hope these refs. will be of use to you.
						Sincerely
						Emily Gonzalez