Mango Itch?

Kenneth W. Mudge kwm2 at cornell.edu
Wed Jun 22 01:12:45 EST 1994

Recently I was in Hawaii, doing some field work on an agroforestry
experiment with Leucaena trees, and at two of our sites Mango trees were in
abundance bearing luscious ripe fruit.  I ate quite a few (up to 5 at a
sitting), beginning about a week ago.  The same day, and for every day
since then I have been experiencing a whole body itch (scratch, scratch),
but only a slight visible rash.  My companions, with more tropical
experience than I, told me that Mango, being in the Anacardiaceae family (
along with posion ivy, posion sumac, etc.), can cause a skin reaction (itch)
in sensitive individuals.  Indeed, I am very sensitive to posion ivy and
posion sumac.  Has anyone else ever heard of such a reaction to mango?
Is there anything I can do about it?  Will it ever stop (scratch, scratch)?