Sweaty trees?

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Thu Jun 23 04:22:49 EST 1994

Marc Knight (Marc.Knight at uk.ac.ox.plants) wrote:
: Dear All,  I know I should know this (and probably did once) why why exactly
: do trees 'sweat' in summer?  Also why does this 'sweat' contain sugars, isn't
: that rather wasteful?

One explanation might be guttation caused by positive pressure in the
xylem under humid conditions but, since sugars are not normally found
in the xylem solution, I suspect you have observed 'leakage' from the
phloem through stylet holes left by aphids.  This often leaves a
sticky, sugary solution on the leaves of aphid infested plants/trees.

	Tony.