Ficus tree that drips sap

Jason Fiering jfiering at itchy.phy.duke.edu
Sat Jun 25 14:41:26 EST 1994

In article <1994Jun23.093910.15380 at ned.cray.com> placek at cray.com (Joseph
Placek  {x68353 CF/ENG}) writes:
> Hello
>
> I have a Ficus tree that drips sap.  Seems like the ones in the malls
don't do this.
> Does anyone know what the problem might be?

I have not heard of a ficus (benjamina -- the mall type) dripping sap,
except when cut.  Perhaps your tree is infested with scale.  Scale is a
pest that leaves sticky residue all over the tree and surroundings.  You
can identify it by the dark brown "warts" on younger branches or by
spotting the little critters themselves on fresh growth.  If you think
this is the problem, write back and I will give you a remedy that worked
on my ficus.
--
  Jason Fiering						1-919-660-2500
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics		jfiering at phy.duke.edu