SOIL TESTING

DAVEH ddh0739 at zeus.tamu.edu
Wed Jun 29 16:24:00 EST 1994

In article <28JUN94.19230454 at jay.sunnybrook.utoronto.ca>, krystyne at jay.sunnybrook.utoronto.ca writes...
>The tests that I conduct are
>as follows: NITROGEN, PHOSPHOROUS, pH (I guess pH paper, wide range, would do
>the trick here), and finally POTASSIUM.   These are all simple colour reaction
>tests where you match up the reaction colour to the colour on the chart they
>supply with the kit.

The CRC of Chemistry&Physics should contain the necessary info on
what reactions with the above list would produce a color change.  The
problem here is you don't know what concentration should be used to give the
right amount of color change.  I would think that you could set up some
tests of various concentration and compare them with the kit results.  One
other problem may be that unless you really do 1000's of them, it may not be
any cheaper.  This is because the same  company might sell you the chemicals
and will also have a high mark-up.  Now, if you could use items from the
local grocer....:)

Good luck and let me know what you think.
Dave.