BEN # 71

Adolf Ceska aceska at CUE.BC.CA
Mon Mar 7 17:39:31 EST 1994

BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N             ISSN 1188-603X
BB   B   EE       NNN  N
BBBBB    EEEEE    NN N N             BOTANICAL
BB   B   EE       NN  NN             ELECTRONIC
BBBBB    EEEEEE   NN   N             NEWS

No. 71                               March 7, 1994

Address: aceska at cue.bc.ca            Victoria, B.C.
 Dr. A. Ceska, P.O.Box 8546, Victoria, B.C. Canada V8W 3S2

CHARTING THE BIOSPHERE - THE SYSTEMATIC SCIENCE AGENDA 2000

The  annual meeting of the AAAS in San Francisco, February 1994,
proposed a bold program "Systematics Agenda 2000:  Charting  the
Biosphere."  The objective of this action would be "to discover,
describe, and classify the world's species."

Meeting the challenges of the biodiversity crisis  and  success-
fully  completing this agenda will require an intensive interna-
tional effort, involving three related research missions:

 1. To discover, describe, and inventory global  species  diver-
    sity.

 2. To  analyze and synthesize the information derived from this
    global diversity effort  into  a  predictive  classification
    system that reflect the history of life.

 3. To  organize  the information from this global program in an
    efficiently retrievable form that best meets  the  needs  of
    science and society.

The  program was summarized in two documents: "Systematic Agenda
2000, Charting  the  Biosphere"  and  "Systematic  Agenda  2000,
Charting the  Biosphere - Technical Report." For these
documents
and more information please contact:

      SA2000
      Department of Ornithology
      American Museum of Natural History
      Central Park West at 79th Street
      New York, NY 10024
or
      SA2000
      Herbarium
      New York Botanical Gardens
      Bronx, NY 10458

Two audio tapes from the AAAS 94 Meeting, Symposium on "Charting
the Biosphere: The  systematic  Science  Agenda"  are  available
(catalogue number S45) from

      Nationwide recording services, Inc.
      8500 N. Stemmons, Suite 3060
      Dallas, TX 75247                 Phone: 214-638-8273

The  tapes  are excellent, cost US$ 8.50 each, but are available
only until the middle of March !

ERAGROSTIS (POACEAE) IN BRITISH COLUMBIA
From: Frank Lomer c/o Olivia Lee <userlabl at mtsa.ubc.ca>

Eragrostis is a large genus (250-300 spp.) of  mostly  temperate
and  tropical  grasses.  (Does  anyone  know how it got the name
LOVEGRASS ?) In British Columbia  our  species  are  all  annual
weeds  found  mainly along railroad tracks, roadsides, and waste
places. They mature in late summer and often there is no sign of
them at all until mid-July.

Genus Eragrostis is a relatively recent  introduction  to  B.C.,
but  the  5 or 6 known species are collectively widespread. Most
specimens here at the UBC herbarium have been  on  loan  to  the
Smithsonian  since  February 1989, so the following list is com-
piled entirely from my own collections and observations.

Eragrostis cilianensis (All.) Mosher  -  A  rare  casual  around
      Vancouver  in  gardens and waste areas. Much more abundant
      around Penticton and Osoyoos.

Eragrostis minor Host. (= E. poaeoides Beauv.)  -  Much  like  a
      smaller  version  of  the preceding. It is by far the most
      abundant member of the genus in B.C. Look around  gravelly
      railroad access roads in any southern B.C. town in October
      and you will likely find this species.

Eragrostis  multicaulis  Steud.  -  Locally abundant around Van-
      couver, especially New Westminster,  where  it  frequently
      grows  in  gaps  between  the road and sidewalk as well as
      covering small areas along railroad tracks.
      (Earlier I labeled all my collections E.  pilosa  which  I
      have  not  yet  found  in  British Columbia. The specimens
      labeled E. pilosa at UBC seem a mixture of E.  pilosa,  E.
      pectinacea,  and  E. multicaulis. I am not yet sure of any
      reliable means to tell them apart  except  E.  multicaulis
      seems mainly to lack hairs on the sheath margins.)

Eragrostis  orcuttiana  Vasey - Distinctive because of its large
      size (up to one meter) and spreading panicle. It grows  in
      sandy  ground in the CN yard in Surrey. A field in Kelowna
      was covered with it. I also collected a few  plants  on  a
      vacant lot in Vernon.

Eragrostis  pectinacea  (Michx.)  Nees  -  Distinguished from E.
      multicaulis by minute differences in the size  of  various
      parts. It grows along roadsides in Osoyoos. I also found a
      few plants in Coquitlam.

Eragrostis  diffusa  Buckl.  -  Perhaps should be included in E.
      pectinacea, but it is much more branched and  generally  a
      larger  plant  and  seems quite distinct. Many plants were
      growing at the end of the east dyke road at the north  end
      of Osoyoos Lake in the Ecological Reserve.

If  anyone knows of any other Eragrostis species in B.C., please
let me know in BEN.

COMMENTS ON ERAGROSTIS IN BRITISH COLUMBIA
From: Paul Peterson, Botany Dept., Smithsonian Institution

E. orcuttiana Vasey is treated by Koch and Sanchez  1985  as  E.
      mexicana (See Phytologia 58:377-381). I have not seen this
      species from BC, although it could be there.

E.  multicaulis  Steud.  is  treated  by Koch 1974 as E. pilosa.
      However in a recent  paper  by  Scholz  1988,  Willdenowia
      18:217-222.  it  is treated as a good species from the Far
      East.
Eros is Greek for love and Agrostis is Greek  for  grass.  "Love
grass" said to be an illusion to the graceful dancing spikelets-
-see Bor 1968, Flora of Iraq, Gramineae.
I  still  would  like  to see a specimen of these two species to
include in "Vascular plants of British Columbia." Cheers!

MORE ON GOPHERS - BOOKMARKS
From: Kathy Bilton <kbilton at cap.gwu.edu>

In another BEN - you might also suggest  that  folks  use  book-
marks.  I had known that this was possible - but didn't know how
to set them up. Just learned the other day - and it's very easy.
When you're at an entry you like -  type:  a  (lower  case)  and
you'll  be  asked  if you want that to be added to your bookmark
list. To call up your bookmark list when you're in gopherspace -
just type: v (and possibly hit enter - I'm not sure) and  you'll
be  presented  with  your  very own personal gopherpage of book-
marks. [If you want to delete a bookmark, type d when you are in
your bookmark list.]

[This feature won't, unfortunately,  work  from  those  accounts
that  don't  allow  you to save your own files to the disk, e.g.
FreeNet.Victoria; if you are not sure, give it a try anyway.]

[P.S. There are about 15 chapters of instructions,  how  to  use
gophers  on  gopher  freenet.victoria.bc.ca.  You won't have too
much difficulty finding them.]

BOTANICAL HOLIDAYS IN THE TAURUS MOUNTAINS, TURKEY
From: Adolf Ceska <aceska at cue.bc.ca>

The Vancouver Island Rock and Alpine Garden Society (VIRAGS)  in
Victoria  is organizing a botanical trip to the Taurus Mountains
in July 1994. The leader of the  trip,  Zdenek  Zvolanek,  is  a
leading  Czech  rock  gardener  and  seed  collector, and he has
visited this area several times. There are two identical  tours.
One  leaves  Istambul on July 2, 1994 and returns to Istambul on
July 16. The second tour leaves on July 16 and  return  on  July
30.  There  is one spot left on the first tour, and two spots on
the second tour. (The BEN editor Adolf Ceska and a BC Ecological
Reserve botanist Hans Roemer are going with the  second  group.)
The  cost  of  the trip from Istambul to Istambul (this includes
the accommodation, almost all meals, and the  transportation  in
Turkey  - you have to get to and from Istambul on your own) will
be around US$ 500.00. With this price, nobody can consider  this
note  an  unethical  advertisement;  we  are  trying to fill the
remaining spaces with botanically oriented people.  If  you  are
interested,  send me an e-mail message or give me a call at 604-
387-2423 (day) or 604-477-1211 (night).