Trees cut down in Kvitfjell ski area. Why?

Anders Sundin sundinKC at dna.lth.se
Tue Mar 8 17:08:02 EST 1994

eugene at wilbur.nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) wrote:
>>Probably because trees are just plants.  Just like corn, just like a flower,
>>just like a rose bush.  They all can be replanted and will grow back.  Yes
>>it may take years, but they will grow back if they are replanted.
>                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>This reminds me of the Reagan Admin head of Civil Defense who claimed
>survivability "with enough shovels."
>
>My this is a short sighted opinion.  We have need for a little education
>in botany and biology.  This is reminiscent of some of Reagan's comments.
>I've nothing against smart forestry, am not a member of Greenpeace, but
>there is a lot of value in biodiversity which agribusiness does not cover.
>Lots of things just don't grow back (understand how naval oranges are
>grown?).

Maybe you could give me a couple of examples of what plants "just don't
grow back" in the conifer belt. All plants I know of do grow back if
given the right conditions. This means that as long as we don't drain
wetlands and maintain a variety of plants of different ages in mixed
populations (e.g. broad leaf trees among the conifers) then things will
grow back.

>Few environmentalists and ecologists reading this group.  You guys must be
>scaring the faint hearted of them away.  Include the professional biologists
>if you decide to folowup.

Real environmentalists and ecologists don't jump ten feet high just
because they happened to see a clearing on a hillside when watching
the Winter Olympics.

However, I do agree with you that it is important to make the
forestry industry responsible for the ecological balance and
for maintaining a multitude of biotopes.

And I do agree that it would be interesting to hear the professional
biologists opinions on this.

-Anders

PS, If you have not followed this thread, German environmental
    organisations (e.g. Greenpeace Germany) have been making
    ridiculous demands on Scandinavian forestry. Such demands
    include a maximum clearing size of 20 meters across and no
    replanting in the clearings.
    Our Swedish environmental organisations are more than a little
    embarrassed (with the exception of Greenpeace Sweden).
    Therefore the Swedish environmentalist organisations such
    as the Organisation for Protection of the Taiga Belt Forests
    plan to send people to Germany to "educate" German organisations
    in nature conservation in conifer forests.
    These Swedish organisations seem to think that such contacts
    can also be an opportunity for them to make their own well
    founded demands heard.

    Below is one of the original messages, and my reply to it:

 Anders Sundin                   e-mail: Anders.Sundin at orgk2.lth.se
 Organic Chemistry 2                     ok2aps at selund.bitnet
 Lund University, P.O. Box 124   voice:  +46 46 104130
 S-22100 Lund, Sweden            fax:    +46 46 108209