Why didn't Mendel discover autosomal linkage in peas?

Stephen J Bungard sbungard at zenecabp.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 16 08:20:05 EST 1994

In article <2m59m3$ffj at controversy.math.lsa.umich.edu> Doug_Ee at um.cc.umich.edu writes:

> It sounds like Mendel chose 22 varieties
> of peas, from which he further selected seven pairs of varieties
> which each differed for a single trait, with one variety
> "dominating." It is truly impressive to read the account of
> how Mendel worked out his conclusions from monohybrid crosses.
> Then he did a bunch of di- and trihybrid crosses, which led
> him to what we call today, his law of independent assortment. These
> left me wondering why he never found a pair of these traits that
> were linked, i.e., on the same chromosome, particularly if
> peas only have seven pairs of chromosomes. Am I missing something?

I thought his results were too good to be true statistically, according to
modern analysis.  Further, I thought it had been suggested that this was
likely to be because his assistant(s) knew what the boss wanted and made
sure he got these results.  Can anybody confirm or refute (preferably with a
reference)?   Thanks,

--
Stephen J Bungard      aka  sbungard at zenecabp.demon.co.uk       |   DO NOT   |
 If there are opinions in the above, they are mine, all mine..  |THROW STONES|