in-situ SEM-observation

CC cc37 at cornell.edu
Fri Mar 18 13:10:47 EST 1994

In article <2mcdpu$1j4 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, "Stefan Vetter"
<Stefan.Vetter at vu-wien.ac.at> wrote:

> Germany). As is generally know, observing organic matter in the SEM requires
> coating the objekt with a conductive film, mostly gold. Breaking such material,
> however, automatically exposes uncoated surfaces to the electron beam and leads to
> strong electric charging even at a low acceleration voltage (1-3 KV) making
> observation and documentation impossible.
>
> Has anybody got an idea how we could solve this problem? We would be very grateful
> for every tip we get!
>
> Michael Schlag

Hello--
       What you need to do is somehow make all of your material conductive,
not just the surface features.  I can think of two options for this:
        1)  View the material in a frozen hydrated state, so that the water
will conduct as you are breaking the material.  A problem I can see with
this is that frozen material may not behave the same as unfrozen material.

        2)  Treat your material in some way to make it conductive.  A few
possibilities are a short fixation followed by postfixation treatment with
osmium tetroxide and thiocarbohydrazide (OTO technique) and/or uranyl
acetate.  You may need to critical point dry or freeze-dry the specimens
afterwards.   We have succesfully viewed uncoated Tetrahymena (lots of
cilia) treated this way at 2.5 kV at upwards of 50kX in our Hitachi 4500.
                                                -- CC