Free Radical "Generators"

enyedi at enyedi at
Wed Mar 23 17:27:18 EST 1994

I am compiling a list of compounds which can generate active oxygen species
in the plant cell. I am specifically interested in superoxide, hydroxyl and
singlet oxygen species. For example, paraquat can generate superoxide in the
chloroplast by disrupting the electron flow from P700 to NADP+. Any other
suggestions? I am also interested in "quenchers" and "scavengers" of active
oxygen species - any help in this department would be appreciated as well.
Please post any information to bionet.plants or e-mail me directly at
alex.enyedi at

Dr. Alexander J. Enyedi
Dept of Biological Sciences
Western Michigan University