Nitroreductase activity in Plants?

Mary Elyse Lucero malucero at nmsu.edu
Thu Mar 24 17:02:55 EST 1994

Is anyone out there aware of any nitroreductase enzymes (enzymes
responsible for converting nitro groups---especially on nitroaromatic
compounds---to amino groups) which have been identified in plants?  I have
found references on bacterial nitroreductases and on certain cytochrome
P450's, cytochrome oxidases, and xanthine oxidases which carry out these
reactions in mammalian systems.  But I can't seem to find any such
activity previously reported in plants.  I'd appreciate any info on the
subject.  Thanks.

Mary Lucero