botanical names of deccan trees

THAQ at IBT.TAMU.EDU THAQ at IBT.TAMU.EDU
Wed May 11 21:31:59 EST 1994

 This is a reply to the following query:
"I will appreciate if someone can let me know the
botanical/generic names of 3 most popular/abundant TREES
in deccan india

thanks

suri"

Trees found in  DECCAN INDIA:

Teak: Tectona grandis- family Verbenaceae
Mahogany: Swietenia mahagoni- family Meliaceae
Sandal wood: Santalum album
Red sandal wood: Pterocarpus
I hope this is of some help though I dont know if they are the most
popular/abundant trees of that region.
Tariq Haq
Tariq Ansarul Haq
Plant Biotechnology Program, Institute Of Biosciences & Technology
Texas A & M University at The Texas Medical Center
2121 West Holcombe Boulevard, Houston TX 77030-3303
(713)677-7606    Fax: (713)677-7641
THAQ at IBT.TAMU.EDU