Rhizobia and Beans?

Flip Hoedemaeker sbtnfh at rulsfb.LeidenUniv.nl
Wed Nov 2 05:55:31 EST 1994

In article <CyM0AG.92r at freenet.carleton.ca>, an524 at FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Jeffrey Ehlinger) writes:

>        I am doing a project at school [..]
>        Some questions:
>I am using Rhizobium leguminosarium, boivars viceae and phaseoli.
>I also have Blue Lake Bush beans. Is this a good combo or should
>I use Lima Beans?

I do not know what species Blue lake bush beans are:
Vicia faba or Phaseolus vulgaris?

I think Lima beans have a different symbiont, so that might not be a good idea.

>Also I plan on avoiding air borne contaminants from the non
>innoculated treatment by covering all the pots with a
>plastic wrap except where plants emerge from the pots. . .
>is this the best way to avoid contaminants?

First of all you have to surface sterilize the beans, because the dried beans
are usually covered with Rhizobia already. A good method is:
- first wash with sterile water
- wash 5 minutes in 96% ethanol
- wash 3 times with sterile water
- 3 minutes in commercial bleach, diluted 5 times in water
- wash 5 times with sterile water
- leave in 1% bleach for 5 hours.
- wash with sterile water

You should sterilize the pots also: 15 minutes in a pressure cooker is fine
If use use cotton plugs, the air will get in but it will remain sterile

>One more question. . .the bush beans are already treated with
>a pink fungicide on them. I think it is "Captan". . .will
>this fungicide interfere with the success of Rhizobia growth
>and nodule formation?

The fungicide is probably beneficial, not harmful for the Rhizobia.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Flip