Aloa Vera

Biomancer barosb at
Wed Nov 2 20:55:00 EST 1994

Kelly Korponay writes

Does anyone know the life span of an Aloa Vera plant. We have a very
large one and would like to have it grow even larger. Last month it
produced a central stem which was very long and had small flowers on the
top. can this be removed without harming the plant?

I would imagine so...I have many aloe plants which seem to have arisen
asexually from one plant I was given about 10 years ago, and they don't
seem to mind it much when I nip off a leaf to treat my burns.  I have no
idea how long the little devils will live, but mine seem inclined to
outlive me.  However, they've never produced anything resembling a
flower spike so far (though they get really wierd photoperiods depending
on when I remember to turn the light on and off...).  I say if you want
to cut off the spike, go ahead, it shouldn't hurt anything other than
the spike.

What gland secretes bejeezus, and why does it get scared out of us?
-Selected Hilarity