BEAR GRASS botanical name

STudent at PSU info at
Mon Nov 7 14:14:32 EST 1994

In article <1994Oct27.210235.1 at>,
fernando at wrote:

> 	I'm an agronomist and I have been working on cut foliage species
> during the last year. I'm very interested on finding out the botanical name
> of the grass denominated "grass bear" (or bear grass, I'm not sure) in
> order to know its soil and climate requirements to try to grow it in
> Asturias, north of Spain.
> 	Thanks in advance for any help
> 	Jesus Fernandez Alvarez
> 	Instituto de Experimentacion y Promocion Agraria
> 	Villaviciosa, Asturias, Spain

Reply:  There is a native plant in Oregon commonly referred to as "bear
grass". I believe that it's leaves are gathered for use as cut foliage
material.  Anyway, it is not a grass; it is a member of the Liliaceae-
Xerophyllum tenax.
In spring, it produces a tall spike of creamy white flowers that are
sweetly scented.  Hope this is the same plant.