graft hybrids

Stafford William was at cartoon.cartoon
Mon Nov 7 14:02:16 EST 1994

In article <39dpe4$93f at hpbab.wv.mentorg.com>,
Brian Bailey <brianb at wv.mentorg.com> wrote:
>Some time back, I seem to remember reading about new genus resulting from
>grafting. The new plant emerged from the graft union and had characteristics
>of both parent plants. Now I dont seem to find any reference to this and I
>am beginning to think that I may have been deaming. Can someone put me
>out of my misery.

	I think this is pretty unlikely, I certainly have never heard of
such a thing.  The term 'graft hybrid' is usually used as a synonym for a chimera
which is an organism that is a composite, not hybrid, of its parents.

	Imagine that after grafting, a bud developed at the intersection
of the scion and stock.  Some portion of the cells in the bud came from the
scion and the rest from the stock.  There is no genetic mixing, just entire
cells from two different plants.  This bud develops and the different groups of
cells just go their own way, each expressing its unique identity, but they
produce a single plant.  Kind of like vanilla fudge ice cream.

	Chimeras can be propagated asexually and there are several chimeras
that have been available in the nursery trade for many years.  Hope this
helps.

	--bill